Japanese Toilet Technology - results in the evolution of the Smart Toilet
If you are asking yourself what is a Japanese toilet? and why are they becoming so popular now? Well, you are not alone.Japanese toilets, also known as bidet or shower toilets, are toilets with integrated washlets. They are either purchased as an add on electronic bidet toilet seat or complete suites that use a water cleansing, cleaning system that leaves you feeling clean, refreshed and rejuvenated. The Japanese bidet shower toilet reduces the need for toilet paper with its multi-functional cleansing experience. You’re able to tailor your use by using a control panel to adjust the temperature of the seat, water and warm air as well as the nozzle position. Some high end models includes an automatic deodorisation function to keep your bathroom smelling fresh. This bidet toilet attachment is a neat solution for effective hygiene, without wasting natural resources.
Bidets have been around and are very popular in European bathrooms. Bidets were always a stand alone unit, a plumbing fixture completely separate to a toilet. A classic bidet is a miniature, bathtub-like unit with taps on one end. The user straddles themselves over it and a stream of water is used to perform a personal clean, similar function to toilet paper.
The most popular Japanese toilet in the Australian market is the TOTO brand.
What is a Washlet?
Washlet is TOTO’s signature product. It is an electronic bidet shower seat that uses a water cleansing system that leaves you feeling clean, refreshed and rejuvenated. Below is an image of the TOTO Washlet Bidet Toilet Seat – TCF6412AT.
TOTO Neorest AH Japanese Bidet Toilet Suite
This luxury rimless bidet toilet has a sensor-activated toilet lid, a nightlight and the Washlet, which has a heated seat, a retractable cleaning wand for front and back cleaning, warm water massage function and capability for warm air drying; and after each use, the toilet bowl is sprayed with electrolysed processed water which has a sanitizing effect and prevents bacteria growth and keeps a clean toilet bowl and nozzle. The Neorest rimless toilet is equipped with eco water saving dual flush and the innovation of Tornado Flushing for a more powerful flushing effect which requires less water.
- Luxurious Toilet integrated with self cleaning Washlet unit. Two phase function- prior to use the Washlet sprays toilet bowl with water, once the toilet is flushed the Washlet sprays the bowl with electrolysed water.
- ACTILIGHT- the toilet lid features a UV light which activates once the lid is shut, the light triggers a decomposition process of waste particles that remain on the toilet bowl after final Washlet spray.
- Hybrid Ecology System: Cistern is completely integrated in toilet pan (No inwall cistern)
- Water saving dual flush
- Tornado Flushing for powerful flushing effect with less amount of water (4.5L/3L)
- Reduced flushing sound
- Full function front & rear warm water bidet cleaning
- Ewater+ (Electrolysed water with antibacterial propertes) automatically spreads out and keeps clean toilet bowl and nozzle by preventing bacteria with sanitizing effect
- CeFiONtect special hygienic glaze for a smooth ceramic surface that prevents debris on toilet surface
- Fully equipped with comfortable rear, front, and oscillating cleansing functions
- Auto lid opening and closing function
- Auto soft light function usable for night time usage
- Auto flush
- Fully adjustable temperature controls and dual user settings
- Water connections recessed behind access panel
- Remote control operated (Remote Controller – Aluminium)
Japanese toilets, also known as bidet or Shower Toilets, are a combined toilet with a built-in bidet function enabling you to remain seated on the toilet after use and clean using an automated spray wand that showers warm water to provide a personal wash.
Evolution Of The Smart Toilets
Everything You Need To Know About Argent Smart Toilets
The modern smart toilet
With a modern smart toilet, the user does their business as per normal, then rather than using toilet paper or moving to a separate bidet to clean themselves, they use the toilets’ rear and/or front water nozzle features. Air nozzles then dry off the user. The water and air functions can be activated using buttons on a control panel attached to the toilet or via remote control, depending on the model.
Common features across different brands and models typically include:
- Adjustable water temperature and pressure
- Adjustable air drying temperature and pressure
- Soft closing seats
Basic smart toilet models are characterised as hygienic, comfortable, convenient and gentle however if you’re looking for a touch of luxury there are also more advanced models on the market. Advanced smart toilets come with many additional features for optimal personal wellness, such as:
- Heated seats with adjustable temperature controls
- Adjustable water pulsating settings
- Self cleaning nozzles
- Rimless hygienic flush
- Touch-less or automatic flushing using presence detection sensors
- Ability to pre-set different user preferences via remote control
- Bluetooth and MP3 capabilities
- Automatic opening seat
- Night light
Voice activation controls are also being developed and are well on their way to becoming available in the near future. Models with this type of technology would completely eliminate the need for the user to touch anything at all when going to the toilet for the most hygienic experience possible.
Benefits of installing a smart toilet in your home
- Hygiene – due to the wash-and-dry function, rimless technology and other automated and hands-free functions, smart toilets are deemed more hygienic than the average toilet.
- Sustainability – compared with traditional toilets, smart toilets use less water as no toilet paper is used, meaning less waste to flush (no double flush). Additionally, they help you reduce your carbon footprint as they drastically reduce the amount of toilet paper you need to buy.
- Comfort – smart toilets make the chore of going to the bathroom more enjoyable, no matter the temperature or time of day.
- Maintenance – without the risk of toilet paper becoming clogged, you can worry less about overall maintenance. Furthermore, if toilet paper is used, some models help avert an overflow by preventing you from flushing when there’s a clog.
- Cleaning – your cleaning routine is made easier in models that have self cleaning nozzles, rimless flushing and superior glazing.
Interested in Argent Evo smart or Evo ViSmart toilet technology? Talk to the team at Just Bathroomware.
There you have it, Everything You Need To Know About Smart Toilets!
Duravit Sensowash, Argent ViSmart and Evo, Gallaria and TOTO Japanese toilet and electronic bidet are quality brands and leaders in their field that is why we recommend in our Sydney Bathroom showrooms.
If you are thinking of investing in a smart bidet shower toilet seat or suite, the first thing is to decide the correct type which will suit you and your budget.
If you have any questions about selecting the right one, Just Bathroomware located in Sydney has a number of Japanese modern Bidet Toilet Seats and Suites and smart toilets to select from. You may decide on a Washlet Bidet Toilet Seat by Toto or a Duravit Darling New Sensowash Toilet. Contact our friendly team and we will be more than happy to assist you. We have a wide range of various toilets, taps, sinks to enhance and upgrade your bathroom.